December 2011

Christmas in Bali Wet season is on the island, the tree in the garden is dropping red flowers everywhere and the ground floor is awash in what looks like hibiscus tea. It's the ending of the year and my bags are unpacked until January 1st when I head of for Australia and Byron Shire, life in the forest for a week with Severen. Closing down the year of travel and going over the remarkable journeys I have taken with a combination of cheap flights, advance planning, hospitable friends and generous hosts, I am, again, in awe of how wonderful my life is. I live with a sense that at each turn of fate I have some how had a lucky escape, and while each person has their own interpretation of happiness and freedom mine exists in my ability to see, engage and experience many different aspects of global living. Even though I am not the explorer or the gung ho writer of youthful ambition I still manage to satisfy my instinct for curiosity and adventure. 2011 brought me to Singapore twice, the city is becoming more interesting to me each visit, Portugal, a place of unexpected beauty and elegance, Morocco to fulfil a childhood dream, an English Summer, a Canyon to Venice experience in Los Angeles, a quick stop in Florida with a wonderful family, ten incredible days in Nassau, I caught my breath in Hong Kong and then spent a gorgeous week in Melbourne with my girls, followed by a day in Darwin. I didn't get to see much of Indonesia, or Asia this year,but plans are in play for that balance to be redressed in 2012. 2012 will see me heading to Thailand, India, other islands of Indonesia, may be even East Timor to celebrate a decade of Independence, and a quick trip to the UK and Spain. Advance planning is becoming an essential part of my ability to go where I want on a reasonable budget. My carbon footprint off sets and a conscious contribution to global environmental awareness quell to some extent my doubts about the impact of my travel, but I weigh that against my intentions and their outcomes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact!

Bahamania - days of luxury and leisure