Cool things to do ALONE!



Some things seem strange to do alone, others are best suited to the solitary, and while that may give room for much discussion I am really only focused on travel-aloneness right now...
These are the things I have discovered are good to do alone:
Eat at busy street stalls and point at the things you want, sure it's a bit risky but to be honest I feel less alone than if I were alone in a Starbucks! I have eaten the most interesting food today just by pointing at other peoples food...not all of them appreciated it, maybe they thought I wanted their food...

What I got was my own food, but I had to wait until I saw some one else eat it to know what to do with it, and then after eating I had a look at what it was I had eaten..maybe I should have done that first.

A plate of leaves arrived with a small bowl of shredded chilli and cabbage in sauce, and then two items' shaped like baby quiches were given to me, they were fried, golden, had what looked like whiskers on them, but once broken open revealed a centre of mung beans and pancake like sponge.

What you do to eat it is take a big leaf, shred up some other leaves into the big leaf, add a portion of the mini-not-a-quiche, roll up the big leaf and dip it in the sauce..absolutely delightful..

The whiskers were prawn feelers, the tasty little thing..Xo Bat, maybe , is made by putting a selection of mung beans into a metal 'dipper' adding a batter and then squashing a prawn onto the top. This dipper gets submerged in a vat of boiling oil and then lifted, released, dunked and served..I am going to try this at home!

Second alone discovery was the foot massage, the system seems to be the price is the price and then you get told what to tip , which is the same as the price, so the real price is double the advertised price..once I had that sorted out in my mind I found a great place , very well lit,and got a superb foot massage for an hour. Foot massages feel very safe, yet nurturing, like being cradled. The technique is different to other styles , and again, I am going to try this at home..

I noted earlier that the cyclo driver sort of pushed me into the War Remnants Exhibition, I wasn't joking, and again tonight I felt I was being 'handled' when the receptionist 'lead' me to the foot massage room, I really felt like she pushed me, must be a Vietnam thing, it wasn't unfriendly..and despite both 'pushers' being shorter than me I felt they wielded a superior power...curious.

Third alone discovery was simply that I was really glad I went to the War Remnants alone...the impact of the exhibitions left me speechless and biting back tears..there was nothing one could say, no questions that could be answered, no comprehension of the awfulness only the cold horror that what ever was 'learned' has been forgotten..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact!

Bahamania - days of luxury and leisure