Cardigan Man!

Tripping Out Alone means:

ICECREAM
You can go and find an amazing ice cream parlour that is being ignored by readers of the Lonely Planet and full of Vietnamese families. Kids being "Spiderman" on the walls, jumping over stools, running around in a joyful frenzy as waitresses with trays of old fashioned bowls full of ice cream skip between the crowds..The ice cream was advertised as 100% New Zealand and it was good, two scoops at $1.50..

(and Germany scores in the first three minutes??)

DOUBTS
The indisputable fact that I have bought a seat, not a berth, for a full 13 hour train journey tomorrow is making me nervous. I now know both styles, seat and berth, and that rationale I had, sitting in my pleasant home in Bali, for choosing a seat, for choosing to do anything for a thirteen hour stretch has escaped me.
Thankfully I have a good book.

(Gosh the tv cameras keep switching between the heavily macho Maradona and that svelte Joachim Lowe..the World Cup's own cardigan man)


BOOKS
I have Andrea Levy's Small Island, its about Jamaican migrants to London after the second world war. It reads well, good for the train, engaging and imaginative, and full of authentic humour too.

I finished House of Meetings: Martin Amis, the prose was expressive, the conveyance of meaning so precise, it was like a literary expresso in contrast to Tolstoy's cafe latte.. short, flavorful and rich. Also cleverly Russian, I prefer his Russian writing to his mystery tale, The Night Train, but in all honesty, in my eyes, the man can write no wrong...


SOME STRANGE FANTASY
Now I must return to Joachim and Maradona, it's a strange fantasy:
I have the FIFA picture, a Vietnamese commentary and am streaming live from the BBC..I have cold beer and am in a hotel room..whose life is this??







Hmm, he might be fighting David Duchovny for my screen saver soon...but only maybe, it's hard to go past the Princeton and Yale thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact!

Bahamania - days of luxury and leisure