Tripping Out on Trains Part Three

Yeah, so much easier now, the seats are ok, the view is amazing, the ridiculous things I think about have got less annoying and I can actually look out of the window and enjoy the journey..and the company of my fellow train-mates..none of whom bought fish.
They bought cute puppies instead and let me play with them!



All this lulled me into a feeling of safety and security, which of course was dashed onto the ground on arriving in Loi Cai..damn..

The frenetic pushing, the grabbing of arms, the demanding of attention, it was just too much, I wanted a bus, I think I got what I wanted, a mini bus, but they ripped me off so bad..I mean it was only five dollars but when you see with your own eyes that you are paying five times as much as anyone else to be stuck inside a sweaty mini bus it sort of irks a bit..when you are hot and tired after ten hours on a train..ah well let it go enjoy the ride you are being taken for..

And what a ride it was, up and up into the hills, looking back over vast chasms of terraced rice fields, looking back because looking forward you look into the face of the oncoming trucks and hold your breath as you driver plays chicken..who will pull over first??


En route to Sapa








Destination Sapa - It is Shangri-la







I liked the part when our mini bus met another mini bus so they both stopped in the road for a chat, and I also liked that the people selling things set up on the side of the road and trucks just pull over as they please to stop and purchase. There was a method, and everyone seemed to know everyone else on the road and it was only the big trans national bus that drove like a lunatic and scared everyone on the bus. That meant something..so I kept looking back until we reached Sapa, and the driver who had ripped me off told me to get out and dumped my bag on the pavement. I had NO idea where I was or where to go but as the place was quite small I asked for help, got some and found my hotel.
I don't understand why as I had only been sitting on a train for ten hours, and had got up at five, but napped in my soft seat air-con chair, why I was exhausted, but exhausted I was. I slept so well, the bed here is the most like my own, sort of hard and broad..I fell into the deepest velvety dark sleep in the mountain air..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact!

Bahamania - days of luxury and leisure