Hue There!

Hue - pronounced H'way is pretty; don’t believe the guidebooks that tell you it is dull, or uninteresting. They have no imagination.
Hue sits across the Perfume River, how can it be dull?

After my intense interview session straight off the train it was hard to do more than check in to my hotel and chill out..but you can't really do that when you are tripping out alone. You owe it to yourself to see what the streets have in store for you.

The streets of Hue in the early evening are pretty, and there is a lovely walk alongside the river where young Vietnamese couples stroll romantically under the coloured lights as the inky blackness of the Perfume River shimmers back the light reflections. Square floating cafes dressed up as dragon boats take off from the shore with inebriated diners for an evening of karaoke and revelry; it's a pleasant scene.

Dragon Boat


I also checked in at the Spiral Foundation Shop and met Hayley who is an intern here from Marin County. Spiral is the retail division of Professors Nahn's project and uses re-cyclable materials to create attractive gifts for the tourists.
I then found a Pho Cafe on a corner and squatted alongside others to enjoy the evening traffic ..and after eating was driven by a compulsion to see Brazil beat the Netherlands..bad idea all round really.


Early morning was the best time to see the river, and I crossed it so I could get to the ancient market, the oldest in Vietnam apparently, I don't know about that. It could be on the site of the oldest one though. I took a boat across quiet cheaply, at about $2, but I think the cut-price deal meant I didn't get to an actual landing area. I was dropped somewhat haphazardly into a swamp that edged the very outside of the wet market and had to traverse fish guts and slime to get into the market proper. When I say market proper I mean the local market, selling all my favourite things, strange implements made of metal to grate and grind, the meat market, and the kitchen supply shops, bright with plastics.
The smells are different every time, here in Hue there is a hint of lime and cinnamon in the air, only a slight undertow of fish sauce, there's a lot of sweet aromas and a tickle of vinegar. The air was clear and not yet thick so I got to poke around undisturbed for quiet some time before a lady tried to overcharge me for a bar of soap.

I like the general market, the sales people there are really not expecting you to buy tongues and hearts, but I took lots of pictures..so vegetarians..avert your gaze..






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contact!

Bahamania - days of luxury and leisure